I was watching the Oprah Winfrey special of Michelle Obama's farewell interview. Whether you agree with her husband's politics or not you have to agree that she is certainly a poised and polished speaker. She is gracious and kind and smart. I like that she takes the high road and that she is not apologetic about her life. She is living her life out loud.
I think of other ladies that I "know"; famous ones about whom I have read and the not so famous ones about whom I encounter daily. What makes them inspirational? I think it comes down to being authentic. They have a good sense of self. They are gracious, kind, and wise. They have a good sense of self and situational humor. They are loving and generous.
They are the ones who take the high road and refuse to stoop to levels that don't reflect their values.
They are living their lives out loud.
How do you go about that?
- Being confident in who and whose you are. "You are fearfully and wonderfully made" says the Bible.
- Being a grown up. Not hiding behind others nor blaming others especially when things do not go well. Fess up to mistakes and move on.
- Being resourceful. Know what is available and to be willing to ask for help.
- Being vulnerable. Willing to find out information if you don't know. Willing to share your struggles and limitations.
- Being generous. Know that sharing one's resources, values, faith- in essence one's life has a way of coming back to you.
- Being authentic. Being honest about yourself - good, bad, and the ugly.
What about you? Know any inspirational ladies? Are you an inspirational women? What else makes a person inspirational? What makes someone live her life out loud? What does that look like for you? How can you cultivate authenticity in your life?
Are you living your life out loud?